Thursday, September 30, 2010

Reading Notes for 10/4

I liked how the wikipedia article on databases used examples. Especially the types of databases. It was easier to understand when they used real situations. I was a little iffy on the post-relational database models. I didn't really understand what was meant that it incorporated relations that were not constrained by E.F. Codd's Information Principle. I will probably have to some more searching to clarify that (thankfully wikipedia has links to other articles).

The article on metadata was helpful to me because we were recently discussing this in another class (LIS2005) and I was feeling very lost. I think that is is a good idea that we should be able to related materials across institutions. Also that we are able to search for something using similar words and phrases. If Dublin Core can be used by anyone, in any field, why isn't everyone doing this? Or using an equivalent? Wouldn't it be more beneficial? I actually printed off the tables 2 & 3 about the different types of metadata.

The aritcle on Dublin Core was good. I don't know if I have a really good grasp on it. After seeing the first example I felt a little confused but the graphical representation at the end helped me to visualize what was going on. I wonder if this is being implemented? The article was written in 1999, so I might check out an update.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny you mention the examples of databases being helpful. I thought they were, too, but I also complained that there weren't enough. Like most of the topics in this class, I need to put in the extra effort to research them further if I want a better grasp on them.

    ReplyDelete