Saturday, October 9, 2010

Reading Notes for 10/12

Management of RFID in Libraries
I don't know if I see how great these tags will be. People will still need to manage a library because at some point something will go wrong with technology. Yes, it may speed things up, but by how much? These tags may be a great way to prevent theft in a library. But, are people really stealing that many books from libraries? I think this may be a great thing for a large library but I can't imagine smaller libraries embracing it (I am assuming these RFID tags are not cheap). I guess we will see how things pan out.

Computer Network -Wikipedia
If the optical fiber is so much better and faster than the coaxial and twisted cables, why aren't we using it? I am assuming it is probably more expensive and that is why. I have to say that when I was reading the wireless technologies and terrestrial microwaves was a bullet, I thought they were going to discuss kitchen microwaves! I just thought I would include this because it really cracked me up. Although I had seen the acronyms before, I never knew what LAN, WAN, or PAN meant before reading this article. I was wondering if University of Pittsburgh employs a campus network or a metropolitan area network.

Local Area Network - Wikipedia
It is interesting that the attraction to using LAN was to share laser printers and disk space, because they were expensive. I have never even heard of Netware, Windows NT, or Windows for Workgroups. Thank goodness for the links to words and terms that wikipedia has!

Common Types of Computer Networks -Frank Klein (YouTube)
I really like that someone took the time to answer a question posted in the comments section. I went to the relativitycorps website and browsed for a bit. I read about Mr. Klein, and he is a pretty interesting guy. He was Assistant Superintendent of Information Systems in Pueblo School District 60. He also received some acclaim for his dedication to technology solutions. Among many other things. I liked the video; it was nice to hear it in the shortened version after reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment